October weather is here! While you may be holding out a bit longer before turning on the heat in your home, it’s time to start preparing your heating system to keep your family warm and cozy all autumn and winter long. Here’s what our Philly heating company suggests before firing up your boiler or furnace:
- Change your HVAC filter. You should be doing this once a month to ensure that your system keeps indoor air free of allergens such as pet dander, mold and mildew.
- Clean dust and debris from your home’s air vents. Doing so will prevent nasty air pollutants from being circulated in your home. Also check that all vents are completely open – even in unused rooms – to maximize your system’s efficiency.
- Test the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector. If necessary, replace them right away to ensure that you and your loved ones aren’t at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Take the time to check the batteries in your smoke detectors and thermostat as well.
- Remove any items from the area around your heater. Any materials can pose a fire hazard if placed close to your heater, but you should be especially careful of flammable ones such as newspaper, firewood and chemicals. Store these in another part of your home.
- Schedule a furnace tune-up. Before switching your thermostat to the heat setting, have a reliable heating company in Philly take a look at your system to make sure everything is in order. Taking this step will prevent you from facing costly repairs in the future.
Just in case your heating system needs to be repaired or replaced, we recommend completing this checklist as soon as possible. Don’t wait until you need heat to take these steps to prepare your heater!
Ready to Schedule a Tune-Up? Call Air Done Right!
At Air Done Right, the heating company Philly home and commercial property owners have trusted for decades, we specialize in affordable, comprehensive furnace tune-ups. To schedule yours and make sure your system is ready for the cold season, give us a call today at (215) 510-9509. We look forward to taking care of all of your HVAC needs!