It’s no secret the holidays are hard on your bank account – buying gifts, traveling and other costs of the season add up quickly. In turn, chances are you will welcome any tips for cutting down on your expenses during this time of year. With this in mind, our Philadelphia heating service is here with a few easy yet effective ways to reduce your energy bills over the holidays:
- Take advantage of the sun’s warmth – Throughout the autumn and winter, our heating service in Philadelphia recommends using the sun to heat your home during the day by opening your curtains and blinds. Then, once the sun goes down, be sure to close up your window coverings to seal the warm air in and banish the cold. Practicing this routine will allow you to keep your thermostat turned a few degrees lower throughout the day and night.
- Lower the thermostat when guests are over – Another smart energy-saving tip is to turn your thermostat down when company is coming to your house. With all of the body heat, everyone will stay plenty warm even with the heat lowered a bit.
- Cook as many items as possible at once – To cut down on your energy usage when doing holiday cooking and baking, you should always make an effort to put multiple items in the oven at the same time. Doing so will reduce the amount of time that the oven needs to be on, cutting energy costs. And once you’re finished with the oven, leave the door ajar so that the leftover heat can escape and warm your home.
- Use your fireplace wisely – If you have a fireplace in your home, you’ll probably want to light it up on chilly nights this holiday season. Doing so will add warmth to the room the fireplace is in while the fire is lit, but once it goes out, your chimney will start to pull warm air out of the room and make your regular heater work harder. To avoid wasting energy in this way, turn your thermostat to 50-55 degrees, open the dampers in the bottom of the firebox and close any doors to the room with the fireplace while using it.
- Opt for LED holiday lights – Of all the holiday lighting options, LED lights use the least electricity, making them the most cost-effective choice for decorating your tree and your home.
By following these energy-saving methods from our Philadelphia heating service, you’ll have more cash on hand to spend on your loved ones this holiday season.
Call On Us for Reliable Heater Repair
If you experience issues with your furnace or boiler this holiday season, don’t fret – Air Done Right, the heating service Philadelphia trusts, offers professional, affordable heating repairs. To learn more about how we can help you keep your system in tip-top shape this season, give us a call today at (267) 297-6791. And to find out what to expect during a furnace tune-up from us, check out our recent blog post. We look forward to helping you maintain your heating system and conserve energy!